Free Mastering Color Course with Coloratti Ollie Kenchington
by Alan Winslow – November 9th, 2018
X-Rite is proud to announce that we have teamed up with MZed to offer a free color management education course. With a qualifying purchase, you can unlock the complete 6+ hours of Mastering Color course (a $199 value). Join Coloratti Ollie Kenchington and other leading color perfectionists as they explore topics like Color Balancing, Skin Tones, HDR workflow and more.
You may remember Ollie from our October 9th article Conversation with Filmmaker and Colorist Ollie Kenchington. He is the owner and lead colorist at Korro Films. Not only is he a colorist but an experienced and sought-after filmmaker, educator and editor. He was also behind the production of the ColorChecker XL promotional video.
About the Course:
In Mastering Color, Ollie comprehensively breaks down the art and science of color grading. From the fundamental principles of manipulating color and contrast to the latest HDR workflows with raw media. Ollie leaves no stone unturned in this exhaustive masterclass. He uses Blackmagicʼs D’Vinci Resolve throughout, though his focus is very much on the big picture, teaching skills that can be applied to any software and any level of ability.
- Grading Suite Setup: Ollie show us why setting up your environment properly is vital.
- Contrast: Ollie drills down on the difference between contrast, tonality, dynamic range, and luminance perception.
- Color Balance: Here, Ollie discusses the basic concepts of the additive color model and how we can use this knowledge to counteract color casts in our images.
- Continuity: Continuity is the unsung hero in color grading and an often overlooked part of the process. In this lesson, Ollie matches Canon and Sony camera on a multi-cam shoot, using the X-Rite ColorChecker Video chart.
- Skin Tones: Ollie turns his attention to one of the most critical parts of color grading – skin tones.
- Creative Looks: Ollie starts with a discussion about the differences between technical and creative LUT’s. Next, he moves to how to develop your look.
- Film Emulation: In this module, Ollie tackles the two distinct areas of the look of film – texture, and color.
- HDR & RAW: In the final module he teams up with the internationally renowned filmmaker, Philp Bloom, to look at the future of film production and delivery.
Be sure to visit the Mastering Color page for more details and to get the course.
This offer is valid for purchases made between October 1, 2018, and December 31, 2018, and is valid in Canada and the United States. Proof of Purchase is required.